Exploring South Tyrol: Meran and the Dolomites
South Tyrol is a land of contrasts. It is filled with alpine mountains and meadows and also palm trees, vineyards and castles. German, Italian and Ladin are spoken here. Pasta is eaten as frequently as the local dumplings called Knödel. Once a part of Austria, the region has been since WWI a part of Italy.
Meran. A famous health spa and holiday resort since 1836 and is known for its lovely surroundings and mild climate as well as for the variety of its sport and recreational facilities. In Meran we will spend 6 nights in a lovely bed and breakfast. Here we will stroll along the lovely promenade next to palm trees with the majestic snowcapped mountains behind or sit in a lovely cafes and watch the people going by. On our tour we will visit castles, botanical gardens, the historic city center with its museums. You will have time to enjoy the thermal baths and have time to visit the town at your leisure. We will also hike in the mountains surrounding Meran, take a trip to Bozen to visit Ötzi, the mummy they found on a glacier in South Tyrol. We will dine in fine restaurants, but also savour farmhouse cooking.
Dolomites. From Meran we will take a bus to the Dolomites where we will spend three nights in a 4 star mountain hotel. On the way we will visit the Pragser Wildsee, the Messner Mountain museum and we will go on two major hikes in the Dolomites one of which will take you up to the “Dreizinnen” world UNESCO site.
The following is included in your trip
- 6 nights in a 3 or 4 star hotel in Meran (price difference depending on the option you choose)
- 3 nights in a mountain hotel
- 2 meals a day (breakfast and either lunch or dinner not including beverages)
- Included activities (ex. Hiking, planned group activities)
- Entrance fees to museums, concerts which are planned for the trip you select
The following items are not included in your travel adventure:
- International airfare
- Transportation to Meran and then from Sexten to your point of departure (this can be arranged if requested)
- Snacks or beverages outside of planned meals
- Alcoholic beverages
- Souvenirs or personal gifts
- Items of a personal nature (medication, toiletries
- Travel Insurance
- Extra options (for example: going on a “Klettersteig“ in the Dolomites with an experienced Alpine guide, or attending a cooking course in Meran)
- Tips for OVA leader (optional)
Pricing varies slightly depending on the number of people who go on the trip. Rates are based on double occupancy. Single supplement may be available upon request. Contact Ingrid or Heidi for more information